Thursday, January 18, 2007

What's next?


Many of our Seniors have been accepted into college and of course, feel a big sense of relief. They have met a major goal of their prep school career. The anxiety that they have felt for the last year cannot be overestimated and they have been so proud to tell me of their plans for next year. As I have been congratulating them on their acceptance letters I have been offering a bit of librarian advice. Should they be wondering what to read once their senior class assignments are completed or if they find they have more free time, I have advised them to go to their new college’s web-site and find out what readings are required for their freshman year or even for their summer reading before school starts. Getting a head start on some of this required reading will make the transition from high school senior to college freshman a little easier. The amount of reading is often a big shock to new students. Right now the seniors are still too busy with school work to embrace my advice, but come Spring, they may be more receptive to my suggestion as they contemplate their futures.

No comments: