Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Refining the Collection


Refining the Collection
Originally uploaded by Pesky Library
I am not the kind of librarian who loves to weed. Faced with a book that hasn't gone out since the 1960's, I still try to manufacture an excuse as to why we should keep it - perhaps its historical significance???? (although that's hard to justify among the hard sciences!) But when faced with a need to weed, I can be ruthless. Our library management system was bought out last year by another vendor and I am exploring my options. But with any decsion, paying the migration of unnecessary records is NOT an option.
Fortunately, weeding does have its 'fun' moments. In the front of a little math book was handwritten "You were voted onto the social committee. Don't tell yet!" And when was the last time you even saw a black bobbypin, never mind one used as a bookmark?

No comments: