Monday, November 17, 2014

'Cause I'm All About Those Books


If you have gotten to know me in the slightest, you know that a) I live in Maine and b) I love books!
Well, when I came across this hilarious parody by high school students FROM Maine, ABOUT books, I couldn't resist including it in my blog!

Introducing The Mount Desert Island High School version of
Meghan Trainor's "All About The Bass":





Pretty funny, huh?

There is something so quintessentially Maine about these kids, but I hope this is a quality that is not only found in Maine teens. At first glance, you might call it an innocence of sorts, something that comes from growing up in the sticks with not much to do, but I tend to think of it as the young confidence that comes with education and support. These kids are having a blast singing -  in their high school library no less! They are undoubtedly kids with character, humor and role models.
Think about the videos, vines and instagrams most kids this age are posting. Generally speaking they are not about the joy of reading. Most high school girls are not willing to sing on youtube "You know I won't be no closed-minded, blank-lookling Barbie doll, so if that's what you're into then go ahead and move along".

That this video has already received thousands of likes and reposts suggests that there is a growing group of cool and bookish teens that aren't afraid to celebrate their intellect. And THAT is pretty cool!

Once upon a time, you all loved to read or be read to. I invite you to spend a bit of time each day trying to reconnect with that inner reader. Maybe grab a book of poetry or a graphic novel, a magazine or a short story, or the children's book you used to love as a child. Don't ever lose that sense of curiosity that brought you into a school like Govs in the first place. At some point we confuse reading with the quest for knowledge and school driven projects. Just remember that books are the foundation for so much of life's adventures and as Emily Dickinson said,

“There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away"


"Cause I'm all about those books, bout those books, bout those books. Start Reading!"






No comments: