Friday, January 05, 2018

Winter Books

January 5, 2018

            It’s no secret that I really hate cold weather and all of the nasty by-products that come along with it. It’s also no secret that I really like to read--a lot. So I take winter as open invitation to cuddle up under multiple layers and read to my heart’s content with no feelings of guilt that I should be doing anything else. As the coldest weekend of the year approaches I am thinking about places and times when people had it much worse than we do. Like watching an episode of Hoarders to feel better about my house, why not read books to make me feel better about the weather? Here is a short list of books that might just fit the bill:

Call of the Wild by Jack London
 Sled dogs have it hard, and Buck certainly survives horrible treatment and conditions in Alaska. Originally serialized in The Saturday Evening Post, Call of the Wild may be too brutal and dated for some readers, but is still thought by many to be a classic.

The Shining by Stephen King
Stuck in a cold, empty, haunted hotel during a brutal winter with a crazy writer? Not for me, but a much beloved scary read.

Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
I read this a long time ago, but the setting of San Piedro Island in the Pacific Northwest always stayed with me. A murder mystery with a large serving of historical fiction that takes place in a cold, wet, rainy climate.

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
A childless couple living in 1920’s Alaska attempt to stave off their sadness by building a child out of snow are surprised when she seems to come to life. Beautiful book about love and family while homesteading in the unforgiving Alaskan wild.

Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Winter is coming…

For these books and more come check out our winter display, and keep warm!
PK




No comments: