Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Spooky Books


Spooky Books
Originally uploaded by Pesky Library
A favorite quote of mine is Macbeth's "By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes . . ." Whether I'm reading or movie watching, the anticipation of the macabre or the wickedness promised in a blurb or a review can be better than the actual unfolding of plot. To celebrate the day, the library pulled together a collection of spooky books and DVD's. A new title not there is on my kitchen table. I am in the midst of a quirky ghost story, The Dead Father's Club by Matt Haig. It's an update of Hamlet but it is not simply a retelling of the story. Main protagonist Philip has a wonderfully strong adolescent voice. Once again the ghost is selfish and the mother is rather silly but the other characters don't mirror the originals so closely. I am not really sure where it's going to end but, as I wait for trick-or-treaters tonight, I hope to find out!

No comments: